Messaging platform, Slack has received positive critique from users as it is used in workplaces and even remotely
Slack offers quite a number of interesting features which include, persistent chat rooms (channels) organized by topic, private groups, and direct messaging. It also has Content, which includes files, conversations. People, are all searchable within Slack.
Emoji are not left out, as users can add emoji buttons to their messages on which other users can then click to express their reactions to messages. Slack’s free plan allows only the 10,000 most recent messages to be viewed and searched.
The messaging app also allows communities, groups, or teams to join a “workspace” via a specific URL or invitation sent by a team admin or owner. Although Slack was developed for organizational communication, it has been adopted as a community platform, replacing message boards or social media groups on Facebook or LinkedIn.
Message or messaging boards is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.
With all these said, here are the few steps to take if you want to open a slack account:
- Go to slack.com
- Once the site is opened, click “Get Started” and then “My team isn’t using slack yet”.
3. Then enter your email
4. Slack will send ask you to verify your email by sending a code to the email you provided. Input the code you just retrieved from your email and press enter.
5. Then choose a name for your workplace and press “Next”
Slack will ask you to type in a name for a project you’re working on. Enter it and click “Next.” This will create your first Slack channel.
6. On the next screen, you will see a space requesting the names and email addresses of people you will like to add to your Slack workspace, and Slack will send them invitations. You can also use an invite link. It is however not compulsory as you can add them later.
7. Then click “See Your Channel in Slack.” and your channel will be opened.
And there you have it! You can also try it to create yours as well.
Now that you are on Slack’s welcome page, there are a lot of things you can do to set up your channel. For example, you get your second chance to add people by email or share an invite link.
8. On the same page, you can send a message to your teammates, which is what will be seen when they come online. Click on “Choose a greeting” and different options will be displayed which you can edit, or you can click “Custom…” to draft your own message. Click “Save” when you’re done.
9. Below that, you can enter the first message for your channel. Click “Send” when you’re done.
10. Slack may automatically take you to the screen for setting up a username and password, or it may take you straight to your channel. If you don’t see the screen for setting up a name and password, you can access it by clicking the “Get started” button in the upper left corner below your username on the main page and then clicking “Finish setup.” Choose a name and a password, and click “Next.”